Support for Christianity
(Excerpt from Himmelsgaben (Gifts of Heaven) Vol.1, p. 293)
received by J. Lorber 13/3/1841
"In response to the question of how one should pray the Lord’s Prayer so that it bears fruit, the Lord replies:
8) But as regards the Lord’s Prayer, it is the same with this prayer as with the question of how one should pray the same so that it bears fruit. For whoever does not pray the same in spirit and in truth, it is as much use to him as explaining colour to the aforementioned blind man.
9) How can he (the spiritually blind) say: “Our Father”, as he has never made an effort to recognize, through love and living faith, the Father in his heart and to approach Him in spirit and truth?
10) How can he say: “You who are in heaven” who knows neither the Father nor much less heaven? – How can he say: “Hallowed be your name!” who does not know My love, much less my living word and therefore impossibly the life of life and the holiness of all that is holy and all renewal from Me, which alone is My unutterable name?
11) How can he say: “Your kingdom come!” who hangs with all his senses, like a parasitic plant, on the tree which should be bearing fruit, i.e. things of this world? - How can he say: “Your will be done”, who has never taken the trouble to recognize My will and keeps, in his heart, either a great indifference or, often even in his youth, sheer disobedience for every yet so easy commandment and carries within him the greatest carelessness for all things concerning eternal life?
12) How can he say: “Give us the bread of life”, who has, in his heart, no idea of the requested bread, but yet a so much greater desire for food for his stomach, which is really the main concern of such unsuccessful petitioners?
13) How can he pray for “forgiveness of his sins”, whose heart is still full of impurities, being filled with nothing but anger, jealousy, pride, ill-will, rudeness and still many more vices of the sort?
- Listen, to successfully achieve forgiveness of sins more is required than to remain, through fortunate circumstances, without enemies. Since, whoever has no enemy, how can he ask: “Forgive me my sins, as I forgive my enemies?, - I do not want to say with that, that you should make enemies in order to have something to forgive; but this I want to say with that, that your heart should be noble with every insult, no matter what form it takes. Otherwise you pray for judgement and damnation upon you, rather than forgiveness.
14) Further, how can he say: “Lead us not into temptation”, who first of all does not even know Me and prays suchlike without purpose, and should I, unknowingly to him, spare him from every temptation, he himself, as one possessed, would run from danger to danger, from abyss to abyss, from death to death?
15) See, how therefore such a request! Does it not resemble a fool who begs a benefactor for support, then as soon as he has received it, throws part of it into the fire, part of it into dirty water, part of it into stinking cesspools and part of it into garbage and graves full of decay. Think, what use is this gift to such a fool!
16) How can he, finally, say: “Deliver us from evil”, who with great diligence throws himself into every evil?
17) If you wish to pray this prayer with success, then you must pray it in spirit and in truth and to consider well what is required to reap the true fruit of this prayer. Otherwise, out of this prayer, the opposite of the great blessing will be the result, for you as for all others."
The True Christianity
New Revelation support for the Scriptures