- Sermon 14 -
Second Sunday In Lent. The Transfiguration of Jesus
t. Matthew XVII, 1-13: "And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, and was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light, and, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only. And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come? And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. But I say unto you. That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist."
(January 25, 1872)
Here again you have an event from My earthly career of a deep and heavenly significance. This event was once important for the disciples who accompanied Me, but it is also significant for you and all mankind and in its spiritual correspondence of great importance for the future into which you are now moving. We will now look at this event, explain its significance for My disciples at that time and then study its great spiritual correspondence to find out how, when and where it is repeating itself today and how it will have the same regenerating effect now as it had once on the three disciples with Me and their further life and actions.
The Gospel states that I took My disciples Peter, James and John up a mountain where they saw Me transfigured, that is, they saw Me with their spiritual eyes as the One who I really am, was and shall be. They saw Me as a high spirit whose garment - truth - was in its correspondence white and whose face shone like the sun, that is, it radiated love. At My side they saw two mighty supporters of My entire future system of instruction who contributed most to facilitate My work as My forerunners - Moses and Elias, with whom I was speaking. They also heard a voice from a cloud speaking the same words that had once sounded at My baptism at the river Jordan: "This is My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased; listen to him!"
This vision which I allowed My three disciples to see was meant to give them a fore taste of their own destination. Peter, whom I called the 'rock' upon which I wanted to build My church, had a similar mission to that of Moses who once prepared the Jewish people for My coming. He gave them laws and rules of conduct which for the Jews were easier to accept than for any other race, to make them My chosen people in the midst of which I had decided to come to the earth. As Elias, in his incarnation as John the Baptist, did on a small scale what Moses had to do on a large scale, thus John, My favourite, - thanks to his particular work and the fact that he lived longer than any of the other disciples - was destined through his Revelation during the last years of his life to show to the world in advance its spiritual progress until its purification and to leave behind a testimony to the effect that the laws I have established in My creation - be they moral or physical laws - must not be spurned.
“6. Since the invited returned the tax-collector's friendliness in this manner, the latter turned to Me and said, ‘Lord! What ought to be done about these fools? I want to do them a good turn and they curse me for it! Please tell me whether God hears the curse of such fools, for the chastisement of those cursed by them!’
7. Say I, ‘Oh yes, but not to the detriment of the ones cursed by them, but only of the cursers. Who has ears to hear, let him hear. [Mt. 11:15] I will tell you how things actually are with them. Do you think they observe the Sabbath because this was bid by Moses? Or do you think they fast because of that?
8. I tell you: In their hearts Moses and the prophets are not worth three stater, but they wish to be seen as Aaron’s worthy successors by the people who pay the tithe and good money.
9. How can I describe this miserable generation? Are they not like the little children sitting in the market-place and calling out to their playmates [Mt. 11:16] “We piped for you and you would not dance; we wailed and you would not cry.” [Mt. 11:17] But I do here not regard the Pharisees and orthodox Jews as such little, but those who are here with us, for they are the ones who yesterday wanted in their heart to keep these fools and total deniers of God here, and the fools have scoffed at them and Me.
“3. And I say to him, ‘Friend, you were with John when the news was brought to him that I was baptising and that many were following Me! Say it aloud in front of everyone - what was John's reply?’ - Says the disciple of John, ‘Here John said and replied, “A man can take nothing unless it were given him from heaven; you are my witnesses to my having said that I am not Christ, but only sent before Him: He Who has the bride is the bridegroom; the bridegroom's friend however is with him and listens to him and rejoices with the bridegroom's voice. This my joy now fulfills itself. He must wax but I wane. He Who is from above is over all, but he who is of this earth is only so and speaks only of this earth. Only He Who comes from Heaven is above all!”
4. Here John paused, relating all that he had beheld and how he had witnessed of Him, but regretted, with a deep sigh, that his testimony, being totally true, was not accepted by anyone. But he who nevertheless accepts it, let him tightly seal the immense actuality of God, for fear of the world.
Chapter 2, Great Gospel of John, Book 1
"6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
1. This man, who preached repentance by the Jordan and baptised the converted with water, was called John. In this man dwelt the spirit of the prophet Elias, and this was the same angel spirit who in the very beginning defeated Lucifer and later on the noted mountain wrestled with Lucifer for the body of Moses (as Michael). (*)
7. The same came for a witness (from above) to bear witness of the light that all men (benighted men) through him might believe (i.e. through his light might recognise the primordial light that had come to them).
2. This one came as an old as well as a new witness from above, that is, from the primordial light as a light that he might bear witness to the primordial light, of the primal essence of God, who now took on the flesh Himself and in the full likeness of the human form, Himself as a man, came to His human being, who are out of Him, in order to once more illuminate them in their night, thereby to return them to His primordial light.
8. He was not that light (out of himself), but was sent to bear witness to that light (that is, he bore witness to men’s benighted feeling of exaltation that now the primordial light Himself had descended from His eternal height to men as a lamb in humility to voluntarily take all their weaknesses (sins) upon Himself thereby to give back to men the original light and make them His equals).
3. This man was, of course, not the actual primordial light itself, but like all beings only a partial light out of the primordial light. But because of his extreme humility, it was granted to him to stay united with the primordial light.
4. Since he was, thus, in constant contact with the primordial light ands was well aware of the difference between It and his own light - although having gone forth from the primordial light, but not being that light, but only a light derived from it that he might recognise it and bear true witness of It - He bore valid witness to the primordial light thereby awakening in men’s hearts sufficient of the true light to enable them to recognise, even though initially only faintly, but gradually more strongly and clearly, that the primordial light, now clothed in the flesh, is still the Same that gave all beings and men their independent existence which they may, if they so desire, keep for all eternity.
Chapter 6, Great Gospel of John Book 1
31. ‘I myself did not know Him before, but that he might be revealed to Israel I came to baptise with water (the ones waiting for Him)’
1. Naturally, the emissaries thereupon asked John, ‘Since when have you known this strange man, and how was what you have just said about him made known to you?’ - Here John replied quite naturally that he, as a man, had not known him either, but that his spirit had revealed this to him and induced him to prepare men for This One and to cleanse them with the water of the Jordan of their gross contamination through sins.
32. And John testified further, saying (after the baptism); ‘(As I baptised Him) I saw the spirit of God (as evidence for me) descending from heaven just like a dove that gently lowers itself, and this spirit stayed above Him.’
2. Here John makes known that he, too, is seeing Me for the first time in person before him, and that My Spirit within him has revealed this to him. Naturally, the emissaries observed this man during the short performance of the baptism with water, which John had initially refused to perform on me with the significant remark that I should baptise him rather than he Me. But when I insisted that it had to be done in this way, John gave in and baptised Me. But he saw what I Myself had revealed to him through My Spirit within his spirit as I had sent him to Bethabara, how the Spirit of God, that is, My very own eternal, primordial Spirit, descended upon Me from the heavens full of light like a shining little cloud in the way a dove descends, and stayed above My head. At the same time he heard the familiar words:
3. ‘This is My beloved Son, or this is My light, My own primordial essence in which I, as the eternal, primordial essence of love, am well pleased. Listen to him!’
33. ‘I would not have known Him either: but He who sent me to baptise with water, said to me; upon whom you will see the spirit descending, and remaining upon Him, He is the one who will baptise with the holy spirit.’
4. That is why John says, ‘ I would not have recognised Him either.’
" What a most humble witness John bears before the priests and Levites, since he quite aware who had come to the Earth in Christ. But what is that to the so worldly wise priesthood. They ignored John’ truest testimony, for they did not care for a humble, poor and unpretentious Messiah, but wanted one to whom everyone would succumb in fear and terror.
 At his first appearance – naturally nowhere else but in Jerusalem – descending visibly from Heaven shining more brilliantly than the sun, accompanied by myriads of angels and taking residence only in the temple, the Messiah would have to immediately abolish and destroy all the then existing potentates, also promptly render the Jews completely immortal, provide them with all the money on Earth and fling at least some hundreds of apparently superfluous mountains with thunderous noise into the sea, at the same time also executing the poor, dirty rabble. Then they would have believed in Him and said: ‘Lord, you are so terribly strong and mighty. All have to bow deeply before you and throw themselves into the dust, and the high priest is not worthy to unloose your shoe’s latchets.’
So we have here the Lord speaking to His blessed disciples 2000 years ago...
"And just as the Jews had to endure captivity because of their sins and fell into idolatry, so also the people of the future will, for the sake of their maturing, fall into similar mistakes – yes they can and shall fall into exactly the same ones. Just as I awakened prophets among the Jewish people, also prophets will arise there and purify the pure teaching from the Heavens of all additions.
 However, this people is as good as totally unknown to you now, but in time they will arise with great force and will smash to pieces everything that is rotten and useless, for they are mighty in their still intact natural force.
The same teachers that came down here as My servants will also come back again there, partly in the flesh, partly in the spirit, and they will testify of Me with great enthusiasm and all-conquering force, as they testified of Me up to now. And I will be invisible at their side and lead them.
The True Christianity
New Revelation support for the Scriptures